Tuesday 7 July 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Hyped Book I've Never Read Before

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's topic is:
Hyped Books I've Never Read Before... 
And Cannot Believe I Still Haven't!

I am one of those readers that always seem to be behind the hype, madly rushing to catch up to all the hyped up new releases. But the main problem is that I don't tend to enjoy these hyped books, so at the same time I try to avoid them until the hype dies down a little. 

But it probably my laziness that affects this more than anything. Here are ten hyped books or series that I really need to catch up on as soon as I can. 

1. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This is a somewhat recent release - it came out about March, I think? - and I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It's sitting right there on my shelf though, begging me to pick it up, but the sheer amount of hype surrounding this book has scared off a little. Have you guys read it so you can tell me whether it lives up to the hype or not? I think its going to be a little too generic dystopian for my tastes so I'm hesitant. 

2. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

I don't think I need to tell you that this book isn't just hyped, it is the it thing at the moment. Everyone has read this book. Everyone loves this book. The author made an epic trailer for it. And I still haven't read it. *hides in shame*

3. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renne Ahbdieh

This is another book that has only recently been released but everyone seems to be gobbling up. A few people weren't fond of the romance, but I don't think I've seen a single rating below three stars. And the premise of this book just seems awesome. I'm actually quiet eager to pick this one up myself. 


178789312056013718798983


Those were some of the hyped recent releases that I haven't gotten around to yet, but the shame doesn't end there. Following I have a couple of books that have been out for awhile that I still haven't picked up, even though they've received a lot of hype.

4. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Not only have I never even picked up this book before, I've never seen the show - not even a preview or an ad. This show never aired on "proper" TV where I live. Well, not that I know of so that's my excuse. I think it only came out on Foxtel or people just got it off the internet...? Anyway, I just never got into this series. I honestly don't even know what it is about. BUT I do want to read it at some point. I don't know if I'll like it, but I will give it a go. Some day. 

5. the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson

Another adult fantasy series that is loved by ever reader that has picked it up... and another one that I just haven't read yet. This series is something that I know I'll get to sonnish though. It seems more up my alley than some of the other books. 

6. Paper Towns by John Green

This is easily one of the Nerdfighter's beloved favourites, but I have many mixed feelings towards John Green. I'm reluctant to pick up any of his books after disliking The Fault in Our Stars. The movie, however, comes out in a couple of weeks and it actually looks quite good so I'll probably get to it before then. 

1349665472586442769


7. The Selection series by Kiera Cass

Another dystopian series that everyone seems to have read except me. This one has mixed reviews though, with a lot of people absolutely adoring it and others simply loathing it. I'm not sure what to make of it at the moment but I own it so I'll try and get to it soon. 

8. The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan

I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not quite sure what this series is about, but I know that it is some sort of spin-off to the Percy Jackson series - which everyone loves but me. Oh, and I really need to read the last PJ book soon! I really want to read this series. I love the mythology behind it, but  I'm reluctant to start it because of my dislike towards the PJ series. Have you guys read this series - is it better or worse than PJ? 

1050729377361824502507

9./10. Throne of Glass / ACOTAR by Sarah J. Maas

I think this one is the one that shocks me most. I cannot believe that I still haven't read anything by Sarah J. Maas! She is coming to Supanova here in November so I'm making a pact to read all her books by then. I'm just praying that I'll love them as much as everyone else does because I'm scared if I don't I'll pretty much be exiled by the book blogging community!!

Oh and with all the hype surrounding ACOTAR at the moment it is really hard to miss being part of that fandom. And I've heard so many fantastic things about it I am almost more eager to start this than ToG. 

789652716096824


******************************************

Anyways those were my top ten hyped books that I haven't read before. What books have you read of these and loved or loathed? Let me know if the comments which ones I should read ASAP and which ones I should steer clear of. 

Oh, and link up in the comments to your posts. I would love to see which books you haven't read yet - then I don't have to feel so lonely!

12 comments:

  1. Hi - I have the same feelings with A Court of Thorns and Roses. I have heard so many bad things about that book that the bad reviews outweigh the good ones. As far as the Throne of Glass series goes, I've only read the novellas (The Assassin's Blade) and it was a good introduction to the world. That might be a good place to start if you don't want to just jump into Throne of Glass.

    Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea Jessie! I'm always a little nervous about prequels - not sure if I can read them before the series or if they'll spoil stuff. Once I get the Throne of Glass series out the way, I think I"ll pick up ACOTAR. The reviews are getting worse and worse though.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachel, Ha so many of these are on my TBR list too. The only one I have read is The Red Queen, and I'm sorry to say I was a little disappointed by it. It took a lot for me to actually finish it. I think it would have been ok if I hadn't just read 2 other books that were basically the same but better executed (IMO). Nearly every cliche was used in the making of Red Queen. An Ember in the Ashes is on my soon pile, and I can't wait to read it! :)

    I glad to see Throne of Glass on someone elses list! I was worried it was just me lol.

    Happy Reading
    Rachel @ Paein and Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be more people disliking Red Queen than I thought so I'm getting a little nervous about it now! Ugh, cliches! It's sounding worse and worse... I have more hopes for An Ember in the Ashes.

      Aha! No, there are a few of use that haven't gotten on the ToG bandwagon yet. I'll get there eventually...

      Delete
  3. Great list! I've got John Green on my list too. Also, I can tell you that I was late to the game on Throne of Glass too, but it was SO. GOOD. I hope you enjoy it! Here's my <a href="http://bookishginger.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday.html>TTT</a>. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I'll check out your post asap. I'm glad you enjoyed Game of Thrones. I think I'll have to pick it up soon with all the recommends and I am happy that I am not the only one that hasn't read all of John Green's work yet.

      Delete
  4. I relate to this post so much...so many books, so little time!
    Honestly, you're not missing much with the Selection; to me, it's pretty entertaining, but not life changing or anything. Mistborn, however, is fantastic! I've read the first two books and the third one's on my TBR for this month, but I'm almost afraid to finish it because I know a major book hangover will come after T___T

    Annie @ Indoor Sojourner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a real problem for readers isn't it!? :)
      Everyone's been saying that The Selection is a snoozefest so I think that I'll have to bump it down my TBR list.
      I REALLY, REALLY need to read Mistborn! I feel so left out and I just NEED it! :)

      Delete
  5. Okay, so I actually hated Red Queen, but maybe it's just me. D: I liked Cass' writing in The Selection, but the entire book just felt superfluous to me. But you MUST read the last PJO book (it's my second favorite in the series, next to Battle of the Labyrinth). The HOO series is good, but not as amazing as PJO, in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of Throne of Glass, but I've enjoyed all of Maas' books after that. ^_^

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it's not just you! I've been hearing that a lot lately so I think I'll pick it up soon and get it out the way. My expectations have be lowered. Ooh okay. I've heard heaps of love for the HoO series but I had my doubts. I"ll pick up PJO asap hopefully. Battle of the Labyrinth was my fave too (well, so far). And you weren't a fan of Throne of Glass? That's a first! You have similar tastes to me (I think) so I"ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. UGHHH YES, PRETTY MUCH ALL THE SANDERSON BOOKS ARE GOD-LEVEL-WORTHY. No, seriously, if there is a god level in literature, Sanderson would be up there and I totally recommend ALL his books, ESPECIALLY the Stormlight Archive!!! You must get to that soon! PLEASE? Yes, I'm begging you here! Haha.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL READ IT ASAP! PROMISE, PROMISE, PROMISE! I am (almost literally) dying from the need to read Brandon Sanderson. I've heard A LOT about the Stormlight Archive but I'm not sure if they're the ones that I want to start with. I think the Mistborn series might be a better start...? I'll pick one of the up asap though. PROMISE! :)

      Delete